Running tip #18 – Learn to use your crock-pot.
My husband, Dave, is the only person I’ve ever known who owned and USED a crock-pot while in college. He would routinely assemble all the tasty ingredients in his (mom-purchased!) crock-pot before leaving for a full day of classes and cross-country practice … then return on cold, wintry evenings to a hot, home-made meal … much to the amazement and shared delight of his track-team housemates. Here is the best recipe that ever came out of Dave’s crock-pot living.
Lazy Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- 4 cups cooked chicken, chopped (I use a whole chicken, pre-cooked in crock-pot)
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas (I skip these, because I hate peas)
- 4 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
- 2 teaspoons fines herbes ( or, a 1/2 tsp each of chervil, chives, parsley, and tarragon)
- pepper (fresh, cracked – about 10 cranks of pepper mill)
- 2 cups egg noodles, cooked (I use wide egg noodles to be more “dumpling-like”)
- Remove skin (and de-bone, if you’re using a whole chicken) then chop the meat.
- Put the chicken into a slow cooker with the onions, celery, carrots and
- Stir in broth, condensed soup, and fines herbs. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or low for 8 to 9 hours, depending on how long your run is 🙂
- When soup is finished, stir in egg noodles.
- Season to taste and serve. Enjoy!